Our first hatch is due March 3rd, and we will have chicks available throughout the month of March.
Straight-run Black Pearl Chicks~ $6.00 each.
To place an order:
1. Please contact us with your name, phone number, and the number of chicks you would like to order.
2. We do not allow farm-pickup, so will coordinate with you for a convenient pick-up location and date. (We are happy to deliver chicks directly to your doorstep when possible. Just ask!)
3.If any of your chicks die of unexplained or natural cause within 5 days of purchase, we will be happy to replace them at our earliest convenience!
(We will only replace chicks that have not been mixed with any other poultry purchased elsewhere.)
Feed and housing:
We feed all of our hatched chicks non-medicated chick starter feed.
ABOUT THE BREEDS
Black Copper Marans are known for their very thick-shelled dark chocolate colored eggs, as well as for their their great foraging capabilities, docile temperament, and medium size carcass.
White Pearl Leghorns are the most productive layer of large white eggs that you will ever find, and their foraging ability is second to none. The only drawback to this breed is their tendency to be very flighty and their small size, making the roosters less valuable for butcher.
Our F-1 "Black Pearls"
In the spring of 2015 we took our best Black Copper Maran rooster, and crossed him with our White Pearl Leghorn hens, hopeful that this would produce a breed with the best of both worlds. We were looking for:
1. A very productive laying hen that lays thick-shelled brown eggs.
2. A larger heavier bird comparable to other heritage meat breeds.
3. An excellent docile forager that can live free-range with very little feed-input.
Not only did they meet and exceed our expectations, but we were also very pleased with their attractive feather pattern, white with a few black spots.